I suggest you...

Add support for subtasks

Many of the tasks I have set up on Toodledo are parent tasks with subtasks nested underneath. When those tasks are sync'd with 2Day, they lose all their context and are in-line with other tasks.

I would like to see support added for using subtasks with 2Day.

218 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeremy Running shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sim Alvin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear dev, may we know how's the progress? It's been over a year since the last comment/query.

• Admin2Day team (Admin, 2Day) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Plan is to have the Windows 10 version out, with 100% universal code so that we can then build the subtask feature on both mobile/desktop/tablet at the same time.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Whats the progress with this as i also use Toodledo because it has sub tasks

• Mike Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any further investigation into this? Seems high on the priority list for a lot of users. It's your top request.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment, I am using MS Project for goal and project management, MS Outlook for task management, and 2day on my smartphone for "action item" management. In that scenario I do not need subtasks in 2day, I already have it in Outlook.

It would be nice to have one enormously complex application that can handle all three of these jobs at once, within a single environment, but that would be a job for a large company not for a start-up, let alone a single guy. Furthermore, trying to integrate elements from all three functions in a smartphone application is not a good idea. You will only complicate the user interface, and will not do a good job at any one of them; which is the case with most work flow management tools I have looked into.

My suggestion is to focus on one thing only: make 2day a nice "Action Item" manager (a la GTD), and sync it really well with MS Outlook.

You have already decided to make 2day a windows only app, which I think is a good idea, so, concentrate on windows. All these toodledo users will leave 2day the minute toodledo decides to support windows...

On the other hand, I just do not see Microsoft putting its act together and creating an application that would render 2day obsolete on the windows phone market. By the way, I would also concentrate all my one man efforts on the Windows Phone app, and sync with MS Outlook and MS Exchange. You can not compete with Microsoft on the desktop.

I would be willing to pay $50.00 or more for an app on my lumia 1520 that allows me to have full sync capabilities with Outlook, back and forth, and through WiFi.

So focus on your market: a fully MS Outlook compatible "action item" manager on the Windows Phone platform, and charge real money for it, and you will be successful.

Another problem people are having, is syncing to their phones without having to go through the cloud. Nobody trusts the cloud any more. If it is really important you do no want it to leave your office, period. No matter how mush you assure your customers, they just will not trust any solution that goes through the internet. So, let users sync through WiFi. There is really no need for this cloud usage just to sync your data from your desktop with your smartphone sitting right next to it.

The cloud could be used for backup for those who want to trust it, and that is okay, but it is unacceptable that the users are forced to use the cloud for something as simple as that.

• Mike Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please don't create folders out of parent tasks from toodledo. I'd much prefer to get true nested tasks and I'm willing to wait on it. Doing some of the suggestions here of flattening out my tasks and such takes away from the ability to use 2Day on my windows devices and still be able to get at my Toodledo do account with subtasks over their web interface when necessary.

• Noam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use both folders and sub tasks in ToodleDo, and they have very different purposes, so please don't confound them. For me, displaying the subtasks indented is not nearly as important as being able to link two tasks. Another mitigating factor is that ToodleDo only supports two levels: parents and children. A task can either be a parent or a child or neither, but never both.

So I would suggest that a good first step is to add a field to a task that lets the user choose its parent and also navigate to it.

It would also be very convenient if you could add a "page" (like "more" and "notes") that lets the user see and add children to a task that does not have a parent.

When you display the tasks in all the other lists and filters, ignore the fact that a task is a parent or child, except to show an icon that indicates that fact next to the task.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using colors to group tasks would be a universal way to make 2 levels :

group 1 red for medical
        task1.1 ambulances
        task1.2 hospitals

group 2 green energy
        task2.1 sun
        task2.2 wind

etc.

knowing that it needs to be able to give a name to colors so that they have a clear meaning.

• Pavel Vitiš commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that implementing this is huge step and will bring other problems in whole app.
        I do not think that using the folder is the right thing to do (would generate too many folders and also Folder/Task+subtasks are separate features in Toodledo).

What I suggest is, when reading the Toodledo tasks, to 'flat' the list of tasks as you do it currently:

> main task
        >>> subtask 1
        >>> subtask 2

become:
        > main task
        > subtask 1
        > subtask 2

But, in addition to that, keep internally those subtasks linked with the main task.
        If the task is a subtask, you can have button/link in the task detail to jump to the parent task.
        This way you do not need to adjust the tasks display to support tasks tree (I guess this is the main problem of the implementation), but you keep the task->subtasks structure coming from toodledo.

Also consider that if user changes something in the main task, you can ask the user if he wants to propagate the changes in all its subtasks.

• Admin2Day team (Admin, 2Day) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jeremy,

In this case, does it make sense to sync parent task as a folder, and sub-tasks tasks in those folders ? That would be much easier to implement than sub-tasks (and we're running out of time already :-()

2Day

Feedback and Knowledge Base